I’ve had a Nexus 7 for two weeks and there are lots of things I love about it and some things I really dislike.
- I love the size. After using it, I really want a 7″ iPad.
- I really like the universal back button at the bottom of the screen.
- The soft home button moves to the correct position when you use it in landscape mode.
- Rearranging icons is less annoying than in iOS.
- Widgets can be placed on the home screen.
Not so good:
- UI is ugly. No rounded corners, shadows, or gradients. Everything looks flat & square.
- Endless march of notification icons across the top of the screen.
- Many of my favorite apps aren’t available for Android. The only Twitter app I use is Echofon because it’s the only one that syncs my mute settings as well as unread tweets. It isn’t available on Android, which seriously limits my ability to use Twitter on the Nexus 7.
For a long time I dismissed the rumors of a 7″ iPad, but after using the Nexus 7 it makes perfect sense. A 7″ tablet is a lot more comfortable to use than a 10″ tablet, yet the amount of screen real estate is just as usable.